Saturday, October 27, 2007

Academic Speak

As my good pal TJ likes to say, there is a reason academics mostly talk to each other. This is an actual title of an academic panel that he forwarded a while back... seriously:

"At the Interstices: Engaging Postcolonial and Feminist Perspectives for a Multicultural Education Pedagogy in the South"

The funny thing is that most academics claim to want to undermine hierarchies and put themselves squarely with "the people" in their politics. Yet, with language like this, haven't we simply created a new kind of hierarchy? I mean, who other than another academic would sit through this presentation??? I bet the folks who put this together don't have much of a sense of humor, either (smile)...

Certain fields suffer from this problem more than others, but you catch my drift...

If you know of other such titles, lay 'em on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment