Friday, December 14, 2007

The Last Poets w/ Pharoah Sanders - "This is Madness"


The Last Poets were formed in 1968 and are often credited as one of the early progenitors of hip hop. Sanders played with Sun Ra and John Coltrane early on before setting off on his own adventuresome solo career in free jazz, often with an African-twist. The music is always a little dissonant with Sanders, but the words of the Last Poets are equally conscious and deep...

For more on Sanders, click here:
Pharoah Sanders

For more on The Last Poets, click here:
The Last Poets

1 comment:

  1. Hello Patrick!

    I am hoping perhaps you can help me locate a track I heard once on the French radio station Nova back in the early 90's. I've been trying to find it ever since but it has eluded me!
    The vocals are almost certainly the same vocalist as in This is Madness, and the radio station billed the song as a Last Poets track, but I've never found it on any of their albums.

    The only clues I have for you are a couple of quotes from the lyrics, probably a little distorted in my memory due to how long ago all this was!

    "...those who cling to the corners of themselves..."

    "... love your children (sons/daughters?), not your guns ..."

    That's it. There's my riddle! Be well!

    Malcolm

    ReplyDelete