Saturday, February 23, 2008

Mrs. Johnnie Carr, Civil Rights Icon, Dies

A few days ago, one of the lesser known heros of the early civil rights era - Mrs Johnnie Carr - died at the age of 97. Mrs. Carr was a childhood friend of Rosa Parks who also played an active role in the Montgomery Bus Boycott. She was close with Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., and took over the reigns of the Montgomery Improvement Association in 1967, a post she held until her death. The MIA was originally formed in 1955 to support the bus boycott. Mrs. Carr was an ardent supporter of civil and human rights for over 50 years.

Here is the Washington Post obituary and here is the NPR story.

Here is a nice video of Mrs. Carr:

1 comment:

  1. I'm the kind of hombre who passions to taste hot things. Right now I am constructing my own pv panels. I am managing it all alone without the aid of my men. I am using the internet as the only path to acheive this. I stumbled upon a really brilliant website which explains how to build pv panels and so on. The site explains all the steps required to solar panel construction.

    I'm not really sure about how precise the information given there iz. If some experts over here who have xp with these things can have a peak and give your feedback in the page it would be awesome and I would highly treasure it, cauze I extremely take an interest in solar panel construction.

    Tnx for reading this. You guys are great.

    ReplyDelete